State Statutes

In most states you have the option to legally exchange your future settlement payments for a lump sum payout.


What is a structured settlement?

A structured settlement is an arrangement for periodic payments in satisfaction of a claim for damages as a result of a personal injury or other tort claim. The tort claim may result from an accident, a wrongful death action, medical malpractice or some other claim that resulted from a personal injury. Periodic payments are paid out over time rather than in one lump sum. These installments may be paid over a fixed period or over the recipient’s lifetime. Because structured settlements are customized, each is unique. Some include monthly payments, some include lump sum payments at regular intervals (ie. every 5 years) and some include deferred large payments at a predetermined birthday (ie. on your 40th birthday). Some include guaranteed payments for a set period of time and some include payments that end upon death. Structured settlements vary widely.

Why doesn’t the insurance company just give me a lump sum directly?

In most cases, the Internal Revenue Code prohibits an insurance company from accelerating your payments. Even when such payouts are not prohibited there may be accounting issues that make insurers reluctant to change the terms of a settlement annuity. When Singer purchases your structured settlement payments, the insurance company will still make the payments under the original schedule. They will simply be delivered to Singer instead of to you, as they become due.

How do I get a free appraisal?

After you answer a few questions, a Singer Account Executive can typically provide you with an appraisal on the same day. We may issue an offer to purchase all or some of your payments, as part of a process which is customized to satisfy your unique circumstances and requirements. You can use the convenient form on the right of this page to start the process.

How much can I get for my payments?

There are several factors that determine the amount of cash you receive. Some factors considered include:
• amount of payment(s)
• who makes the payment(s)
• when the payment(s) is (are) due

Do I need a lawyer or a financial advisor?

We urge you to consult with your attorney, financial advisor or accountant before making any final decisions. In some states, you are required to obtain such independent professional advice prior to completing a transaction.

What documents do I need to provide?

We need to get a copy of the documents which set up the structured settlement arrangement. If you don’t have them available, we will work with you to try to get copies from your lawyer or from the insurance company. These documents include:
• settlement agreement
• annuity contract or letter of benefits

Who do I contact at Singer to discuss selling all or part of my settlement?

One of Singer’s Account Executives will be happy to speak with you.  Call us at 1-800-670-6777.  You may also  complete the form at the top of the page and we will contact you.

Glossary of Terms

Comments are closed.